4/12/2005

Google Me Gone

"For time will catch us in both hands
To blow away like grains of sand
Ashes to ashes rust to rust
This is what becomes of us"*

Was over at Spitting In A Wishing Well the other day and joined in on satellite mapping my hometown (Piehole was a little difficult to find). The funny thing about doing that is it's impossible to see any people. Even at maximum zoom, human beings simply don't appear.

My great-uncle died last night. I had taken my mom to see him in the afternoon, and then, after the call came, me, Mom, and Aunt3 returned to sit with his body for a while. It was amazing because, as sick and sedated as he was, once his spirit departed his body looked very different--- like a shell already in the process of disappearing. I began thinking this is what is going to happen to Aunt1, then 3, then to my mom, and then, at some point, to me (hopefully Sis1 and 2 will live longer than I will). We will all disappear, and the people who remember us will disappear too.

Of course there's a part of me that thinks I'm exempt from all this, that somehow I'll be able to sneak out of line and hide in some time-warp toilet stall. But that part has been getting smaller and smaller lately.

This life we live, the things we think are important, thoughts and feelings, our bodies even--- none of it shows up in the map. And that, I think, means something.

*Annie Lennox "Primitive"

4 Comments:

Blogger Maverick said...

I think that if the map zoomed just a bit more you could actually see people, in fact. I can see cars, so, I imagine people being a little smaller would need a little more magnification to see.

You still couldn't see their souls, though, and I think that's more what you're addressing it.

I think, in some big way, we live in other people's minds. I mean, I exist, but I also have my own reality which is separate - very sparate, it seems sometimes - from what others' existence is. Sometimes they cannot intersect. I guess we live on in memories, in pictures, and hopefully on Blogger. :-)

Spitting at the Big Brother satellite overhead

11:19 AM  
Anonymous fm said...

Hmm...

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Mr. Burns said...

Stacie: In my bumbling way that's what I was trying to get at. Forgot about Blogger though. I really AM immortal!

FM: Hmm?

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
» »

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home